1. 5 cups of organic strong bread flour
2. 1 teaspoon of sea-salt
3. 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar
4. 2 large eggs OR 3 medium-sized eggs (set a small amount aside for glazing of buns)
5. 1 cup of milk
6. 4 teaspoons of instant yeast
7. 6 tablespoons of butter (small pieces and softened at room temperature)
8. 1 serving of tangzhong*
- 1/3 cup of bread flour
- 1 cup of water
1. In order for the Hokkaido bun to be soft, tender and fluffy, there is an ingredient which must be used. It is called the 'Tangzhong' or 'Water Roux'.
2. To make the 'tangzhong', mix the 1/3 cup of flour and water together.
3. Boil this over low medium heat. Stir continuously. Cook it until it thickens.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and instant yeast.
6. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients (milk, eggs and tangzhong).
7. Mix all ingredients well and knead until the dough becomes smooth.
8. Add the butter and knead again.
9. You can roll them into shapes that you like or just make a round bun shape or even a normal loaf. It is entirely up to you.
10. Grease your baking trays or moulds with butter or oil.
11. Once you have prepared all your pre-baked bun shapes and placed them in the baking trays/moulds, set aside for them to rise.
12. Preheat oven at 175C.
13. Just before baking, brush some beaten egg mixture on top of the buns to have a beautiful browned and shiny top.
14. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.