Wednesday 14 August 2013

AMINES Part 7 - Surviving Amines

I never knew of the existence of amines in food which could make one sick before I became salicylate and chemically sensitive. I did not know why food which was kept in the fridge were causing me to have terrible migraines, mouth-burning-episodes, diarrhoea and near-anaphylaxis attacks (even though they were salicylate-free).

A very friendly and helpful lady by the name of Cecilia Corlett whom I met at the Yahoo online Anaphylaxis Support Group shared with me about keeping food in the freezer once freshly cooked food has cooled down. At that time, I thought I was 'killing' or 'freezing' the salicylates! I now know that by freezing, amines formation would be lessened. Or at a very minimal amount. Thank you Cecilia!

After reading and researching and (also experimenting), I find that by practicing these practices (listed below), it lessened and in fact (totally annihilated the attacks that I was having that were caused by amines)! So here are my strategies in surviving in an amine world.

  • POULTRY

1. I buy freshly slaughtered chicken from the wet market. When I reach home, the chicken is still hot! And I really LOVE that. I keep them at most for 2 weeks in the freezer.

2. I wash all the chicken under running water before keeping them in the freezer in separate bags.

3. I make my own ground chicken. I don't buy ground chicken (or anything that is grounded that is not done by me).

4. I DO NOT store any cooked chicken in the fridge. In fact, I don't store 'anything which is cooked' in the fridge. I store them in the freezer.

  • FISH/SEAFOOD
1. I buy fish and prawns fresh from the fish monger. She goes to the harbour on certain days. I buy from her on those days. All her fish are kept in containers packed with ice.

2. I wash them immediately under running water (upon reaching home) and keep them in separate bags in the freezer.

3. I do not store uncooked fish in the fridge!

4. I do not even store cooked fish in the freezer!

  • COOKING CHICKEN/FISH/SEAFOOD
1. I defrost my chicken/fish/seafood in hot water.

2. I rinse all chicken/fish/seafood under running water before cooking.

  • EGGS
1. I keep ALL my eggs in the fridge.

2. I wash all the eggs with a gauze under running water. Once they have dried I keep them in the fridge.

----------------------------------------------------------------

  • TIPS
Below are some very interesting and useful tips. I do not react to these today but I did a few times a few years back. It is still good to keep them in mind. As each and every one of us is different, what can trigger a reaction in me, might not for you. Vice versa. Browse the tips below with this in mind, and with a pinch of salt. Hope this helps you somehow in improving the quality of your life.

  1. Poultry skin is HIGH in amines.
  2. Amines form VERY quickly if hot soup/stews are stored in Thermos.
  3. Prolonged cooking of meat/fish, multiplies the production of amines. Maximum cooking time = 2 hours. 
  4. Yeast extract, yeast nutrients and autolyzed yeast are VERY high in amines.
  5. Over-riped bananas are VERY high in amines.
  6. Bean sprouts must be VERY fresh. They ferment extremely fast!
  7. Cooked/baked cashews are VERY high in amines.
  8. Recycled oil accumulates amines. (I can smell the amines in this. It makes me sick!)
  9. Expired AND overly-expired stuff contain amines. 
  10. Biogenic amines in food accumulate in our body system over time like salicylates. By abstaining from amines, your system will slowly recover and heal.
  11. Make everything from scratch and eat them FRESH!

Clink on LINK for a very detailed post on amines.
Amines minimisation.
More on Amines

5 comments:

  1. Multiple Chemical Survivor15 August 2013 at 19:01

    How does washing the meat reduce the amines? I recently read washing chicken only contaminates your sink and the area around it with bacteria and doesn't do anything to keep it safe...only cooking kills the bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of times, the chopping board is perfect breeding place for bacteria. And the chicken monger is chopping chicken without washing the chopping board. Amines is formed by fermentation caused by bacteria. Thus, the washing.

      Delete
    2. Multiple Chemical Survivor15 August 2013 at 21:18

      So the amines are on the outside of the meat and not growing on the inside?

      I'm totally baffled by this amines stuff. I'm glad I'm really grossed out by anything old in my refrigerator even if it isn't past an expiration date. I don't trust expiration dates.

      Delete
    3. Some are naturally occurring amines in plants/seeds/nuts. But an example would be like tyramine, that it can produced by fermentation and spoilage in meat. Which is aided by bacteria.

      Delete
    4. There was once that I saw in an organic shop where they changed the dates of the expired goods to a later date. I went back a week later and saw that they had ripped out the old dates and printed out some new ones!!! I NEVER shopped there again.

      Delete