Monday 19 December 2011

The Making of 'Chemical-Free' Fish Balls

The fish balls/cakes that are sold in the markets and supermarkets have all sorts of additives, flavourings, preservatives, and chemicals added to them to lengthen their shelf-life and to enhance the taste. And boric acid is used as a preservative in fish balls too. And sad to say, there is very little fish meat that is used in the fish balls out there.

I have always loved fish balls since I was a child. But because of my medical condition, fish balls/cakes from outside are a thing of the past.

Here is how I make my own fish balls/cakes. And with this, you get 100% fish meat!

This is how the fish look like. Don't just bring the whole thing home. Ask the fish monger to separate the meat from the bone. It will make your job much easier. You can scrape off the meat immediately instead of trying to separate it by yourself. It is a very big hassle.

I usually buy 5 to 6 of this fish and make many packets to be kept in the freezer.

This is how the fish meat looks like after scraping it off from the body.
I use this hand blender to blend/grind up the meat into a paste. Before I discovered this blender, I had to use a spoon and beat and stir until the fish meat turn into a paste. It took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes!!!! By the time I was done, I had developed triceps and biceps like Hercules! This hand blender makes the job so much easier and faster!
Voila! Fish meat all ready to be kept in the freezer. I divide them to be kept into small bags. 
Fried fish balls!!! *Yums!*
I will share on another post on how to make these fish balls.





2 comments:

  1. May I check
    1) what type of fish is this? (as in name of fish)
    2) do I need to put cornflour into the minced mixture before keeping in freezer?
    Many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dada! I bought king mackerel. Sometimes I mix this fish with another fish. I can't remember the name of the other fish though.

      I also add cornflour to the mixture before keeping it in the freezer. I even season it with sea-salt and oil too.

      Good luck!

      Delete