Sunday 30 June 2019

Stomach Woes (Part 1)

Ever since I came down with chicken pox end October last year, my gut has not been the same. I have not been able to eat most of my meals without ending in pain, bloating which made me feel as though I was a balloon, retching up acid, heartburn which resembled a heart attack and intestine rumblings which sounded like there was a full symphony orchestra playing a sonata at fortissimo and vivace.

Nothing worked even though I swallowed all the necessary pills which used to work. I'm sure my gut resembled a pharmacy.

I tried restricting my diet even more. Even the non-FODMAP food were causing problems too! It came to a point that drinking water too caused stomach woes.

I went to see Mr. Gastroenterologist who did a few tests and placed me on different medication. But nothing worked. And every test result came back perfect.

And then I started to have loose stools.

Mr. Gastroenterologist took some stool samples but it was perfect too!

Mr. Gastroenterologist then told me that sometimes the stomach goes bonkers for a period of time after a severe viral infection. I'm most probably in that state and that I need drugs to help tie me over till it settles back to normal again. How long is anyone's guess. In the meantime, I had to go on a soft diet. I asked for a period of one month before I go back to see him again. I needed time for the drugs and the soft diet to work.

Unfortunately before one month was over, Mr. Gastroenterologist had to go for an emergency surgery and he has been on medical leave ever since. And I had not gotten any better.

And then in May, I was struck with such crippling pain to the point that it felt like I was having an appendicitis! (I've had an appendicitis about 10 years back and had my appendix removed.) I couldn't move, I couldn't eat. I could just curl up on the sofa in pain. I needed help ASAP!

But who should I see?

I knew that I couldn't go back to see Rock Star. He would just prescribe me Nexium, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety pills, pat my hand and tell me that I research too much and that I'm stressed.

Who then should I see?

I went to a GP nearby my house to get a referral letter. He suggested that I see his university mate who is a gastroenterologist. I thought why not give him a try. But the gnawing feeling in my gut would not leave me in peace.

So I searched and looked up on the internet for all the gastroenterologists in 3 hospitals. And then I saw this doctor and my gut started screaming that this is the guy that I'm supposed to see!

So I made the appointment......


..... to be continued



2 comments:

  1. Good god! What are you eating for food? Of course, I realize this is an old story that you are just now posting so maybe this is all over...and as much as I want to help, I still haven't figured out my gut issues so I'm useless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mainly chicken soup with chicken and rice day and night... with some vegetables. I lost so much weight and looked pale and ghastly. The fatigue just wouldn't let up. The moment the stomach started healing, the fatigue started leaving.

      Delete