Monday 16 January 2012

Container Garden - An Update

Things in the garden came to a standstill due to the excessive rain. Nothing survived in the garden. I ripped everything out and amended the soil with compost and organic sheep manure. The sun has only started to shine more recently and believe me, it has been scorching hot of late.

I have sown okra seeds, bi-color corn seeds, siu pak choy seeds and red spinach seeds. Most of them have germinated. During the rainy season, I propagated MORE periwinkles as they are really beautiful flowers. The Oleander Hawk moths/caterpillars love them too. Of late, the cuttings did not survive. Root rot killed them. Only the periwinkles that grew from seeds survived.

 I am also attempting to make my own compost. I have lots of kitchen waste. They are put to good use. And I do not need to pay a bomb to buy compost. It will take 3 to 4 months for the compost to be ready. I am doing this in staggering stage.

Oleander Hawk Caterpillar
Compost in the making.

Orange Dog Caterpillar
A sea of Periwinkles
A new lemon tree (in seedling stage)
It's all about Okras!
The 1 year + lemon tree
The baby orange tree (with weeds!)
A butterfly drinking nectar from a Periwinkle flower

Spinach!
Kangkung
Garlic and Onion Chives
Jasmine flower against the blue sky






No comments:

Post a Comment