Saturday 30 June 2018

Shit Happened (Part 7)

Today is the 67th day since I weaned off Nexium.

It was really tough as the craving for Nexium was terrible. During the first 2 to 3 weeks, the reflux was terrible as the stomach was trying to adjust digestion without PPIs. It was haywire. I smelt a medicine smell exuding from my pores. I had withdrawal migraines. My mood was terrible as I was like a drug addict who went cold turkey. I had cold sweats. My palms were shaking. My mind was having a freak-storm. I was exhausted from fighting the withdrawal. If I remember correctly, I think this happened too when I weaned off Xyzal last year. But during these 67 days, all the horrible pain and severe acid reflux that I had been suffering since December slowly disappeared.

The cause of these 6 months of suffering was rebound-acid-reflux caused by Nexium! Instead of helping me with my GERD (which I thought I had), Nexium was destroying my gut system and caused it to become haywire.

During these 67 days I was off Nexium, as long as I maintained a low-FODMAP diet, I did not have any acid reflux (sometimes it was minimal). I have not had peace in my stomach (and PPI-free days) for such a long time. What Mr. Gastro said was 110% spot on. FODMAP caused IBS which mimicked GERD. By watching my diet and playing around with the FODMAP bucket (it's the same thing with salicylate), I could then live a life free of PPIs (and pain).

During this 67 days, the yellowness in both my palms (and at one time, my face) disappeared. I had thought I had jaundice at one point! I guess I was being poisoned by Nexium.

On days where I overloaded on FODMAP, the acid reflux/gassiness/heartburn would return. I would rinse my mouth and gargle with baking soda. Sometimes I needed to take Ranitidine/Zantac to help with the acid reflux. Once the IBS settled, the acid reflux and heartburn would be gone.

There were times where I had 1 whole week of peace and quiet! The severe pain in the upper, middle abdomen had even disappeared.

But as with foods with FODMAP, I am still learning the ropes as food with FODMAP contains prebiotics which help and promote the growth of probiotics (good bacteria). Food with FODMAP also helps with smooth digestion/pooping. I have to experiment (it's like learning how to balance food with salicylates all over again) the level of FODMAP my digestion is able to take before the bucket overflows which will trigger the cycle of IBS and then GERD all over again.

As I have been on PPIs for so many, many years, my digestion was affected. Absorption where vitamin B12 was not good at all. Thus, I started to take a vitamin B12 supplement. Dr. Yadav had advised me to do so too last year as he said that as we age, vitamin B absorption is not as good as when we were young. Plus, I have been on PPIs for such a long time. Imagine my levels of absorption! I have been taking B12 (Metylcobal) since mid-April. I started with one tablet a day at first. And then as the weeks went by with no reactions to it,  I slowly increased to two tablets a day. Currently, I am still on two tablets a day. The numbness, tingling and muscle weakness slowly went away. Sleep became more stable. I had more deep sleep, more quality sleep and became more refreshed, energised and did not have so much fatigue.

Click on HOW TO WEAN OFF PPIs AND WHY to read and understand more.

Click on LINK to read about how to wean off PPIs if you have GERD.

And if you do plan on weaning off PPIs, please consult your doctor/gastroenterologist before doing so!


1 comment:

  1. The rebound from PPIs is the worst, there is a reason they call it purple crack! A great solution to reflux is a Medslant acid reflux pillow - https://www.medslant.com/

    ReplyDelete