Monday 9 June 2014

Natural Beauty Measures That Don't Cost A Bomb

... (And which don't kill you either! I hope...)

1. Charcoal For Eyeliner

Apparently this works very well. Activated charcoal is used for the eyeliner. Just google and you'll see tons of people swearing by this simple home-made product. Some women use spirulina for green colour and cocoa for brown. Interesting....

2. Brown Sugar Exfoliation

Brown sugar contains glycol acid which helps fight bacteria. Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxyl aid which is an important acid in keeping the skin healthy. From what I've read, many people who use brown sugar as their exfoliant add some oil to it. Some use olive oil. Others coconut oil. Experiment with caution to see which suits your skin.

3. Baking Soda For Extra White Teeth

Adding a bit of baking soda to your toothpaste will apparently give you white teeth. No harm in trying.

4. Dry Shampoo

My alter ego's name is Miss Clean Freak and I cannot even skip one day of not-washing-my-hair. I live in a tropical country which is hot, humid and dusty. Imagine not washing one's hair everyday!!!!!! But some people believe in not getting their hair washed everyday. They believe that it strips the scalp of the oil. Well, commercial dry shampoo is filled with lots of chemicals. Here is a homemade version: Cornmeal, cornstarch, oatmeal and baking soda. Sprinkle mixture on scalp and rub it in so that oil from scalp will be absorbed. Comb/style as normal. If you try this, let me know how this goes.

5. Algae For Eyeshadow

Another interesting homemade concoction to combat the chemicals.

6. Potatoes For Dark Circles

Applying fresh potato slices over the eyes for 15 minutes can help reduce the red, tired and dark eye area.

7. Large Sunglasses

This ensures your eye area is protected from the UV rays.

8. Pillowcase Change For Acne

For those who have acne, a pillowcase change every night might help in having a re-infection. If you can't do this, covering the pillow with a facial towel is as good. Change the towel every night.

9. Oil As Cleanser & As Make-Up/Sunblock Remover

I use coconut oil to remove the sunblock from my face. I used to use baby oil but I can't seem to find one without perfume. The one which I could use went through a marketing change and now has added fragrance/perfume which made me sick the moment I opened the bottle. Coconut oil works very well for me.

10. Conditioner Away

Instead of using shaving cream, lather your legs with conditioner and shave away. It softens the hair and leaves the legs soft and silky.


If you have any other tips, do feel free to share.

1 comment:

  1. Baby oil is pure mineral oil...incredibly toxic. Coconut oil is so much healthier.

    Why is it women are expected to shave their legs and not men? They say the more you shave the faster the hair grows and it makes it very coarse. I vote for no shaving. It's not needed. I also vote for no makeup. It's also not needed.

    ReplyDelete